Sunday, March 8, 2009

Schooling Outside the Box

Yeah, that's me...finally! After only using Abeka for two years I am branching out. I am finally confident enough in my homeschool teaching ability that I am piecing together curriculum for the boys for next school year, which will start in July.

For Hunter's 2nd grade I have ordered
Easy Grammar w/teacher guide
All About Spelling
Handwriting Without Tears
Math Made Easy (superhero edition! lol)
Smart Steps 2nd grade cd curriculum to use for fun extra learning

For Dalton starting kindergarten I have ordered
Handwriting Without Tears (I will use it to teach letter recognition, formation, and their sounds)
Math Made Easy
Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons (already had this at home)
Smart Steps Kindergarten cd to use for extra fun learning

I have ordered Rosetta Stone Spanish for the boys and I to learn. I took French in high school and know virtually NO Spanish!

After pricing Abeka's material because they really step up this year with everything..it would have cost me about $400 JUST FOR HUNTER! Today I spent $191.52 for curriculum work for BOTH of the boys and the Rosetta Stone was $259 BUT it is something we will use for a long time, not just one semester or one year even..and when we are done w/it we can sell it because it has a very high re-sell value.

I will be listing Hunter's first grade material for sale soon, along w/the Abeka Kindergarten and 1st grade that I had already ordered for Dalton! LOL!! Good thing it still sells for a good amount and with them being new (at least the boys workbooks) I can get about what I paid for it.

I am SO ready for the next school year!! Abeka has become almost a chore for us and now I feel the best I have EVER felt about homeschooling!!

4 comments:

  1. Very cool. That's sort of along the lines of what I'm planning. Have you looked into Sonlight at all? It's crazy expensive (hopefully by purchasing extra workbooks, we can spread the cost between the kids, though), but I think we're going to use it for kindy. It has LOTS of good materials and it's all literature based which I love. The 100 Lessons book is just amazing. He's reading blocks of sentences now, even things like menu items and other books by recognition of sounds.

    I've heard lots of good things about Rosetta Stone. I took spanish in high school, but I think I'd like to teach mine Latin, too (which I don't know a lick about). Saxon Math is another one I'm looking into for first grade (all this and I'm still not certain we're h/s without a doubt. I'm sick.). Okay, I'm rambling. You'll have to update after you get your curriculum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of my curriculum and the Rosetta Stone has shipped! SOOOO excited to get it all and go through it! lol Doesn't take much huh? Girl, you have to homeschool! We'll keep each other sane...um yeah, or something. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lori- I found your blog through The Homeschool Lounge. I am also in SC, just between Anderson and Greenville. I also have used Abeka for 2 years (K and 1) and am beginning to HATE it with a passion! Drill, drill, drill, drill, and just when you think you are finished with drill, you drill some more. I am piecing together my curriculum for next year, too. Just wanted to say that your "classroom" looks beautiful and inviting! I wish I had the room to do that for my daughters!!! :( I can tell you put your heart and soul into homeschooling ... How did you decide on Math Made Easy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathy! Glad you found me! We ran into the same problem with Abeka..we, too, used it for K and 1st and it's just so much of drilling and worksheets...oh the worksheets...LOL Anyway, so I just went out on faith and started piecing it together. I honestly just googled homeschool math 2nd grade, etc..and I came up with several and the Math Made Easy looked really inviting. I ordered the super hero edition for my oldest...it's so bright and all the math problems revolve around the super heroes..so it will keep his interest I do think. Math at this age is pretty easy for us adults to explain so I felt pretty comfortable w/out a teacher guide for this one. Thanks for the compliments. I just needed a space for us to do our work and make it an offical sort of place. We tried doing it at the dining room table for a while and it was just too hard bc I had to pack everything up if we had company and needed the table and it was just too frustarting. Anyway..it's worked out good for us having our own spot to keep everything. Good hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete